Yahoo! Labs at Barcelona
Members of the LAW have ongoing projects with the Yahoo! Labs at Barcelona, and Yahoo! partially funded the research performed by some of us.
Cooperation with the Language Observatory Project
The LAW collaborated with the Language Observatory Project, an international research effort aimed at raising public awareness on the Digital Divide among Languages issues, and at encouraging support to the processing of those languages now falling through the net.
The Language Observatory Project is funded by the Japan Ministry of Research, under the auspices of UNESCO. The role of the LAW was to provide the software infrastructure needed to collect and manipulate large Web snapshots necessary to perform statistical analysis about the diffusion of charset and encoding-scheme standards.
Collaboration with IIT
The research activity of the LAW was initially supported by the former Istituto di Matematica Computazionale, now Istituto di Informatica e Telematica (IIT), at the CNR (National Research Council) in Pisa. Part of the crawling infrastructure used by the LAW to collect web snapshot was initially hosted at the IIT.
Consulting for Italia OnLine
In the first years of its activity, the LAW has been involved as a consultant for Italia OnLine (Wind group) concerning improvements of Arianna, at the time one of the largest italian search engines.
Fundings and participation to other research projects
The members of the LAW participate to many national and european research projects. In particular:
- the national MIUR Cofin Project 2002 Aspetti Algoritmici del Grid Computing e del Web Crawling;
- the national MIUR Cofin Project 2005 Automi e linguaggi formali: aspetti matematici e applicativi;
- the national MIUR Cofin Project 2006 Grafi del web e ranking (Web Ram: web retrieval and mining);
- the national MIUR Cofin Project 2008 Query log e web crawling;
- the European Project DELIS (Dynamically Evolving Large-scale Information Systems).
The activity of the LAW was also funded by a Finanziamento per grandi e mega attrezzature scientifiche of the Università degli Studi di Milano.